Saturday, June 26, 2010

Toronto - in the limelight - protests abound


Our city is currently hosting the G-20 Summit - media attention is being paid to the deterioration of peaceful demonstrations today...predictably some protesters are violent and destructive. Police cars on fire, storefront windows broken - negative images to be sure. As it continues I can only wish that the next several hours will not see more and worse consequences of these actions.

One thing really puzzles me: people who purposefully go down to view the "action" - I guess they are fearless (read: misguided) or is it just that I certainly am too much of a wimp to deliberately place myself in the line of fire?

Peace and love,

3 comments:

  1. Always wise to avoid line of fire! Watched coverage on the news - police car on fire etc. I don't see the point of this sort of thing. At least it's not over hockey like in Montreal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always wise to avoid line of fire! Saw the coverage on the news - police car on fire etc. Good day to stay close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila. As you know, I went downtown yesterday(or was it sometime in July?) and I had a couple of what I think were well considered reasons for doing so.First,I feel a great deal of connection and affection towards this city, and if something significant is happening in it - or in this case, to it - I want to bear witness. Specifically in this case, I wanted to know for myself what was happening and not rely solely on the filter of the media. My other motivation was that I anticipated that in the aftermath there would be the usual accusations of out of control, malevolent cops attacking lovely, peaceful protesters without provocation. There was no way to get any sense of the truth of these claims without observing the tactics of the protesters and police first hand.
    Having said all of that, I was determined to observe these events in a responsible manner and not make myself a nuisance. And I assure you, I was also pretty determined to not get my delicate little self damaged in any way as well!
    Keep on bloggin'

    Michael

    ReplyDelete